Agro Resources, Inc. is a professional agribusiness management and farming service established in 1988 by owners, David Rietow and Sally Rice, providing orchard, forestry and ranch management as well as a full line of farming. Agro can also provide landscape service with special expertise using native Hawaiian plants. Based on the Island of Hawaii the management and farming team can provide services throughout the State of Hawaii. Agro Resources, Inc. can do your farming, ranching, harvesting, marketing and landscaping for you.
Agro Resources is a licensed farm labor contractor. We customize our services to suit the clients’ requirements. Agro Resources, Inc. can provide a complete agricultural package from developing raw land to finished crop or perform selected services designated by the client. For an absentee owner Agro Resources, Inc. can provide the required services including regular reporting and communication. These services include:
Agricultural Planning Including Crop Selection
This entails working with the client to develop the layout for the farm and select appropriate crops for the climate and soil condition and determine market potential for the crop. Provide soils maps, site map, irrigation plan. Determine permits required, if any.
Business Planning and Finance Management
Business plans that include the development and operating budgets and cash flow analysis, annual operation budgets, and detailed monthly invoicing. Sophisticated data base management system of financial reporting and billing.
Government Farm Program Applications, Implementation and Reporting
These programs can include a United States Department of Agriculture – Natural Resources Conservation Service conservation plan, Farm Service Agency cost sharing of some agricultural practices, and crop insurance.
Orchard, Forestry and Ranch Development
Implementation of the agricultural plan. Land clearing, conservation practices, and soil preparation. Orchard/farm layout, installation of the irrigation system, obtaining plant material, planting the crop.
Design, Installation, Repair and Maintenance
Of agricultural systems, including farm buildings, state of the art processing facilities and packing sheds.
Using modern pasture rotation methods and pasture improvement; Herd breeding improvements including seasonal breeding; Selection of appropriate cattle marketing outlets.
Farm Cultivation, including development of fertilizer and fertigation programs, pruning, irrigation, and ground cover management
Crop logs, consisting of leaf and soil samples, are collected for analysis and the results used to determine the nutrient enhancement and replacement program. Orchard trees are pruned to insure a strong main trunk with properly placed branching. Irrigation systems are designed to deliver water efficiently to optimize plant growth while conserving the water resource. Ground covers are planted to prevent erosion and moisture loss as well as maintain a healthy environment for soil microorganisms.
Harvesting, infield transportation and transportation to the packing facility are included.
Packing & Market Delivery
These services are tailored to the crop.
Marketing & Market Development
This service includes analyzing the market, contacting buyers and developing a marketing strategy and program to optimize the sales income from the crop.
Coordination of services
Some clients like to be involved in the operations of their farm or ranch. The Company can coordinate the various agricultural services with the client to designate the operations selected by the client to perform with the Company responsible for the balance.
Landscaping Design and Installation
Agro Resources assists the client and coordinates with the architect where appropriate to design a low maintenance site specific landscape that brings out the beauty of the property. Native Hawaiian plants are our specialty and will be incorporated in the design when requested by the client. Our services include:
- Landscape design incorporating the basic principles of balance, focalization of interest, simplicity, proportion, and unity.
- Landscape cost estimate. – After completion of the design, calculations are done for plant materials, hardscape materials, installation, and maintenance costs for a preliminary budget.
- Plant Sourcing of top quality plant materials and delivery of all landscape materials to the project site.
- Landscape installation, including proper soil and planting preparations, hardscape and irrigation where specified.
- Implementation of a maintenance and fertilizer program, both short term and long term.
- Training of client or client’s personnel to perform landscape maintenance and fertilization if requested.
Commercial Forestry Development and Maintenance
Agro Resources, Inc. has the skilled forestry crew with experience in forestry practices, such as planting, pruning, and thinning. Our experience includes planting and maintaining both native and exotic hardwood plantations. Services include but are not limited to:
- Land selection based on client priorities and crop suitability
- Timber crop selection. An analysis of the client’s goals and expected timeline of the income can be done to confirm the tree selection meets those goals.
- Business plan and cash flow analysis; annual operating budget
- Land preparation for planting with implementation of conservation practices as specified by USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Securing seedling trees for planting by contracting with a nursery or establishing client nursery
- Planting maintenance of the seedling trees including weed control, fertilization, and pruning as required for optimum tree structure.
- Thinning to promote tree growth